The beauty of the sun.
For the first time in what feels like 3 weeks I was greeted this morning by the sun shining through my white window shades. I've been fighting off some depression for the last few weeks and this morning I instantly felt good. So good in fact that I went back to sleep and did so right through my first class. It was bliss.
Yesterday I gave Ethan a call. I haven't talked to him for almost 3 years, and I can't describe how good it feels to hear that brothers voice on the line. He joined the Marines in 01 and was sent of to Japan for 2 years, came back home for 2 months, and then Iraq for a year. He has about a year left of active duty and then he's out, and none-too-soon. He's become very angry since he joined the military. He told me that he couldn't talk about it over the phone, but in essence there's a lot going on that most of us over here don't know or understand and that it's a real mess over there at the moment. It cuts deep to hear his pain and frustration. He deserves a better life, and he joined the Marines thinking it would make a better one. I'm not ripping on Military here at all. I'm just voicing what I've heard first hand. He broke it down for me saying, "I just wants control over my own life, I'm tired of never knowing my next move." I can't really blame him. I guess you would say he gave up his freedom so that I may have mine.
So Ethan talked me into pouring myself a glass of wine while I studied. It was good idea in that I was able to mellow out, but not so great in that I was just about two shades from falling asleep. Red wines always do that to me. It was nice to really treat myself thought. I think we should all do that more often. I know a lot of people that love to take baths.... that's not really my thing, but I sure can put on some chill music, pour some wine and read a book. Christ taught us that the body is a temple, and I really think we really should take better care of it. Part of that, I wholly believe, is giving it rest. Pastor Neil talked last night about how important it is to honor the Sabbath. His talk made a lot of sense, pointing out that because we are carefully crafted in Gods likeness we, just as God did on the seventh day, need to rest. Man it's so easy to get so busy it's ridiculous. I've been known to even forget to eat. It's a shame honestly, in fact according to Scripture is just as much of a sin as adultery or murder. Don't believe me read the ten comandments and check out Deuteronomy: 12] Keep the day of rest, to hallow it as the Lord your God has commanded you. 13] Six days you shall labour, and do all your business. 14] But the seventh day is the rest of the Lord your God, you shall not do any work in it. I favor the Quote Neil sited from John Calvin, "I stop my work on the sabbath, so that the Lord may do his work in me."
I won some fancy socks tonight at REI in a raffle drawing. I was entered into the drawing when I sold a pair of socks over the phone last week. I tell ya what, there ain't' nothing like a new pair of socks. amen and goodnight.

1 Comments:
jonathan,
okay well the tomato soup wasn't really a recipe...but i will try..shawn's into the whoel taste as you go method... but basically i started with an organic base and then added fresh basil and oregano and ground pepper and let it simmer for a good half an hour. to 40 minutes...at first it wasn't so great, but after it simmered the flavor was perfect...not to strong, but definately more interesting than the average bowl of tomato soup!~
Post a Comment
<< Home